Solid Waste Worker Jobs Vacancy in City Jacksonville Jacksonville
City Jacksonville Jacksonville urgently required following position for Solid Waste Worker. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Solid Waste Worker Jobs Vacancy in City Jacksonville Jacksonville Jobs Details:
Examples of Work:
- Rides on the back of garbage or recycling collection truck and collects solid waste materials on a designated route.
- Acts as a relief truck driver in collecting solid waste materials for disposal, reuse and recycling.
- Oversees and trains Solid Waste Worker I's.
- Drives dump trucks and pick-up trucks to distribute sand and water over landfill to control dust.
- Receives and dispatches routine messages and information and keeps applicable records.
- Operates packer machinery mounted on vehicle to pack refuse.
- Loads and unloads varied materials using hand tools.
- Directs driver when pulling out in traffic and backing up, and directs incoming vehicles to dumping area at solid waste disposal facilities.
- Acts as a security or watchman.
- Examines waste loads to prevent disposal of contraband waste, according to government regulations.
- Sweeps and picks up refuse from streets, gutters, and sidewalks.
- Checks operating and safety conditions of vehicles, performs minor servicing and reports needed repairs or servicing.
- Performs minor construction and general maintenance tasks such as minor roofing repairs, painting, fence repairs, pipe installations, and replacement and repair of concrete bulkheads.
- Cleans and maintains solid waste buildings and facility areas.
- Performs ground maintenance work such as mowing, trimming, spraying and watering.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville's competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of work routines and procedures in collecting solid waste materials for disposal, reuse and recycling.
- Knowledge of applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of state and local driving laws
- Ability to operate solid waste collection vehicles, machinery and tools safely under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to oversee and train Solid Waste Worker I's.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning labels and symbols for identifying hazardous materials.
- Ability to pick up and dump solid waste materials weighing less than 50 pounds on a continual basis.
- Ability to perform minor construction tasks, general maintenance of buildings and grounds and janitorial duties.
- Ability to check operating and safety conditions of vehicles and perform minor servicing.
- Ability to examine waste loads to prevent disposal of contraband materials in landfills.
- Ability to receive and dispatch routine messages and information, and maintain applicable records.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information:
- Ability to read and write English.
- Must have at least one year of experience in solid waste collection, recycling or related, or work that involved performing manual labor or operating a motor vehicle.
- FL Class B CDL Driver's License or higher is required prior to appointment & must be maintained.
- City of Jacksonville Public Driver Certification Within 6 months of employment, must qualify for, obtain, and maintain during employment in this class a City of Jacksonville Certification as a Public Driver.
- This classification performs safety-sensitive functions and is subject to pre-employment and random drug/alcohol testing programs as set forth in the City of Jacksonville's Drug Free Workplace Policy (Directive 0401).
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED.
- Apply at www.coj.net/jobs. NEOGOV works best with Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer version 11 or higher browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers. You may have to cut and paste the link into the browser's search area. Be sure to add coj.net to your address book to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also check your application status at any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran's preference, he or she may file a written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Division of Benefits and Assistance
9500 Bay Pines Blvd., Room 214
St. Petersburg, FL 33708