Legal Advocate Jobs Vacancy in House Ruth Maryland Inc Baltimore
House Ruth Maryland Inc Baltimore urgently required following position for Legal Advocate. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Legal Advocate Jobs Vacancy in House Ruth Maryland Inc Baltimore Jobs Details:
The Legal Advocate provides first contact to victims of intimate partner violence seeking legal services, including protective orders, peace orders, and divorce and custody representation. The Legal Advocate provides legal information, referrals, and advocacy to clients. The Legal Advocate conducts an intake with each client, obtaining demographic information, a description of recent and prior abuse incidents, and details about the relief requested in the client’s legal case, conducts a lethality assessment and creates a safety plan with each client. The Legal Advocate provides referrals to social services, housing and shelter assistance, mental health care services, and other crisis intervention services. The Legal Advocate participates in the identification of systemic obstacles for victims of intimate partner violence, and assists in formulating a plan and strategies for the removal of those obstacles.
- Conduct intakes and provide legal information, referrals, and advocacy services to victims of intimate partner violence.
- Conduct a lethality assessment and help every client create an individualized safety plan.
- Assist victims of intimate partner violence to complete petitions for protective and peace orders, modifications, extensions, divorce and custody complaints and answers, and other legal documents.
- Explain how to file for a protective/peace order and how to file criminal charges.
- Provide information to clients in order to allow clients to represent themselves in protective and peace order proceedings.
- Present client information to POARP attorneys and advocate for representation of clients in those cases.
- Present client information to divorce/custody attorneys and advocate for representation of clients in their family law cases.
- Advocate orally and in writing on behalf of victims of intimate partner violence in various environments.
- Assist in trial preparation under the supervision of an attorney.
- Accurately conduct conflict checks for persons seeking services from the Legal Clinic.
- Act as a liaison between clients who are witnesses in criminal cases and the local State’s Attorney’s Offices.
- Accompany clients to court for civil and criminal proceedings.
- Travel to all courthouse offices to assist attorneys by conducting intakes, answering phones, and other duties as assigned.
- Complete requirements of all grants, including written reports in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update electronic shared calendar regarding client intakes and upcoming protective and peace order proceedings.
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of family and intimate partner violence law.
- Recruit, train, and supervise interns and volunteers to provide victim advocacy services.
- Conduct follow-up surveys and research inquiries regarding efficacy of representation service.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to courthouse and HRM offices
- Provide back-up to paralegals and secretaries.
- Create and maintain manual of referrals and resources for use by the agency.
- Assist in fundraising efforts as needed.
- Participate in trainings (in person and online) to stay current on intimate partner violence issues and advocacy.
- Publicize and educate victims of intimate partner violence about services offered.
- Publicize, educate, train and provide technical assistance to Clinic staff, probation officers, community organizations, court personnel and other agencies as requested, including weekends and evenings.
- Develop and maintain liaisons with court personnel, community, criminal justice system and other agencies that assist victims of intimate partner violence.
- Other duties as assigned.