Legal Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Sierra Club Boulder
Sierra Club Boulder urgently required following position for Legal Assistant. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Legal Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Sierra Club Boulder Jobs Details:
Job Title: Legal Assistant for Environmental Law Program
Reports To: Managing Attorney, Environmental Law Program
Context: Provides litigation and programmatic support for all aspects of the Environmental Law Program.
Scope: The Legal Assistant provides litigation support to advance the mission of the Environmental Law Program and Sierra Club campaigns, conducts legal and factual research, and manages programmatic aspects of ELP. The Legal Assistant provides support in three major categories:
Litigation- prepares documents, submits filings, drafts standing declarations, submits records requests, creates and maintains Excel databases, supports "new matter form" process, conducts factual research serving litigation needs, manages dockets;
Campaign/Research- conducts research in support of Sierra Club campaigns, manages data for various types of Sierra Club content, manages web content for campaigns, prepares and disseminates informational material regarding Sierra Club campaigns;
Program- performs administrative and clerical duties including invoice and reimbursement processing, travel logistics management, administration of recruitment for law interns/fellows program, program event planning, program supply management, preparation and dissemination of informational material regarding ELP activities to various audiences, ELP email administration, and mail pickup.
- Collaborates with paralegals, attorneys, and other ELP staff to complete the critical, precise tasks of courtroom litigation, including editing, formatting and otherwise preparing legal documents, communicating with court clerks, and filing and serving documents properly and on time. Provides day-to-day coordination of dockets and acts as liaison between ELP and outside groups.
- Interviews potential standing declarants and drafts standing declarations under the supervision of attorneys.
- Drafts and submits Freedom of Information Act and Public Record Act requests under the supervision of attorneys.
- Performs basic research tasks via legal and technical databases (Lexis, Westlaw, SNL, etc.). Provides administrative support for the litigation coordination program "new matter form" process, including document preparation, copying, filing, faxing, and mailing.
- Performs continuous maintenance and updating of legal action database (LANDS), law program web pages, and legal research library.
- Monitors and reports all relevant public information regarding permitting, public notices, and media relating to current and potential legal actions relating to coal plants and other priority targets of Sierra Club campaigns.
- Conducts miscellaneous research and prepares reports in support of Sierra Club campaigns.
- Tracks and records the status of litigation, rulemakings, etc. to enable access to legal and technical resources by the network of attorneys and allied organizations collaborating on Club campaigns.
- Drafts, produces, and disseminates educational and promotional materials associated with legal actions against targeted entities for the public media, grassroots groups, and other audiences. Communicates with SC staff and external audiences through website and other relevant media outlets.
- Performs a range of administrative and clerical duties which include invoice processing, reimbursements, travel logistics, copying, collating, faxing, supply ordering, filing, event planning and organizing for ELP, ELP email administration, mail pickup, and managing various spreadsheets for general program information.
- Provides administrative support for the law student internship program, including communications with law schools, maintaining internship and job postings, and coordinating intern/new hire application process and training.
- Administers program fundraising by compiling information for funder reports and grant/proposal writing. Organizes ELP fundraising events.
This position requires occasional overtime to meet special deadlines, projects, other staff absences, or emergencies. Under these circumstances, overtime will rarely exceed 5 hours per week or 15 hours on a monthly basis.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple task and adhere to deadlines.
- Computer skills: 1‑2 years experience with word processing (WordPerfect and Word) and preferably database management skills (including strong familiarity with Excel). General computer literacy and solid internet research skills required.
- Solid research, writing, oral communication, analytic, and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to do precise, careful work needed for courtroom filings, attorney admissions, and correspondence with courts, etc.
- Ability to work successfully in teams and under own initiative, to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and to make timely decisions.
- Knowledge of energy and climate data sources and familiarity with government climate/energy policy and litigation procedures are a plus.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non-exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section