Highway Maintenance Worker Gateway Jobs Vacancy in State Colorado Job Opportunities
State Colorado Job Opportunities urgently required following position for Highway Maintenance Worker Gateway. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Highway Maintenance Worker Gateway Jobs Vacancy in State Colorado Job Opportunities Jobs Details:
This position is only open to Colorado state residents.
Are you a Roadway or Construction Trades Worker WITH A COLORADO COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE, Class A or B? There is a vacancy located in Gateway, CO.
The starting salary for this position is typically $3202 per month. Upon successful completion of the probationary period, you may be eligible for an increase in salary of up to 5%.
The eligible list created from this announcement may be used to full current and future vacancies, in the following locations: Gateway.
Are you looking for a challenge? Do you have a passion for helping people? Do you want to be part of a diverse team that is committed to making the transportation system in Colorado safe and efficient? Then, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is the place for you! CDOT is devoted to incorporating technology, providing equal employment opportunities, developing leaders, and improving systems in order to provide outstanding customer service. By saving lives and making lives better by providing freedom, connection, and experience through travel, CDOT is committed to becoming the number #1 Department of Transportation in the country. In working towards this goal, we believe every one of our employees plays a critical role. CDOT's core values include safety, people, integrity, customer service, excellence and respect. Please visit https://www.codot.gov/ to learn about CDOT and how we are making Colorado a great place to live, work and play, now and for the future!
In addition to a fantastic place to work CDOT offers a variety of benefits which include:
- Annual leave (accrued based on years of service, starting at 8 hours a month)
- Sick leave accrued at 6.66 hours a month
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Medical and dental plans
- State paid life insurance policy of $50,000
- Choice of 2 retirement plans
- 401K and 457 plans
- State paid Short Term Disability coverage
- Credit Union Membership
- Work life programs
- Tuition reimbursement programs
Do you like to be challenged, to learn new skills and do you want to be able to handle any situation that the traveling public and the Colorado weather can put in front of you? Transportation Maintenance I (TM I) positions do more than drive big trucks!
CDOT is responsible for taking care of the state highway and roadway systems through landscape, heavy construction and operating specialized snow removal equipment. As a TM I employee, you will receive training on specialized equipment such as loaders, motor graders, 2+ ton snow blowers, and using wing attachments to remove snow and maintain the roads and CDOT right-of-way.
This right-of-way is more than the asphalt you drive on – it encompasses the land on both sides of the road and any medians – so daily work can include maintaining the landscape, highways signs, culverts, delineators, road shoulders, rock slide areas, runaway truck ramps, and more.
As a TM I, you will need to be able to think on the fly and react quickly to whatever situation you encounter. Employees may be the first on a scene and so receive CPR and first aid training.
CDOT employees have the opportunity to test and show off their equipment operating skills against fellow employees each year in a Region wide Roadeo, and the best of the best go a State Roadeo.
Work assignments are frequently performed under hazardous, high volume traffic situations including bad weather conditions. Night and shift work are required for many TM I positions, including working weekend hours and holidays as needed or required. TM I employees are required to be on a rotating on-call basis, and must respond to emergencies 24 hours per day/7 days per week. There is also an opportunity for overtime pay, especially during the winter.
New employees are required to attend two weeks of maintenance training in Golden, while veteran CDOT employees are required to attend training one week out of each year in Golden. This is an opportunity to network and connect with other TM employees from across the state, while learning and perfecting new skills.
CDOT provides employees with personal protective equipment, such as uniforms, boots, hard hats, gloves, safety vest, respirator, and tools. And, after you are an employee for one year, CDOT will pay for your CDL physical and you are eligible to be reimbursed for up to 50% of the cost for renewing your CDL.
During the extended summer months (approximately May – September), TMI employees typically work 10 hours a day Monday – Thursday, with a three day weekend.
So, are you up to the challenge of being one of the lucky ones at CDOT?
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Heavy Construction Trades/Physical Labor:
- Haul and spread sand, gravel, concrete, asphalt and clay to fill washouts, roadway cracks, berms, and repair road shoulders;
- Inspect, clean, and repair drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures;
- Install and/or repair guardrails, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools;
- Perform rockfall mitigation and avalanche control, such as traffic control and snow removal from slide areas;
- Remove litter, hazardous objects and debris from roadways, such as rock, mud and/or deceased animals;
- Cut grass, dig ditches, empty litter barrels, pick up trash;
- Assist in signing and striping highways, such as maintaining pavement markings and re-installing traffic signage;
- Respond to emergencies by following prescribed procedures such as stopping or slowing traffic, operating emergency vehicles, etc.;
- Set out signs and cones for "traffic control safe zones" around work areas to divert traffic;
- Graffiti control, sand blasting, remove paint over walls, bridges and signs and using pressure washers, airless paint sprayers;
- Other duties as assigned.
Heavy Equipment Operation:
- Drive trucks or tractors with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds;
- Minor maintenance and repair of equipment;
- Snow plow and ice removal at all hours to keep roadways clear and safe;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Exposure to load noise
- Exposure to fumes, odors, gasses, dusts, etc. that may affect breathing, eyes and skin
- Required to use appropriate personal protective equipment as needed
- Required to work with chemicals and cleaning products
- Some equipment requires the use of respirators
- Work in close proximity to heavy traffic
- Use of ladders and scissor lifts for heights of approximately 10 – 20'
- Required to drive CDOT vehicles
- Some of the positions are NIGHTS ONLY and others are WEEKEND positions
- Frequently responds to emergencies outsider regular work hours and may work overtime including weekends and holidays
- Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme temperatures (hot and cold), variable weather conditions, and at varying elevations up to 12,000 feet for long periods of time.
This experience must be specifically documented on your application. Additional information submitted after the closing date of this announcement will not be considered in the review of your application.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Commercial Driver's License Class A or B with no restriction on air brakes. You may be required to obtain a Hazardous Materials endorsement within 6 months to 1 year as a condition of appointment; AND
- Eighteen (18) months in heavy construction/physical labor experience AND six (6) months heavy equipment operation experience;
- OR eighteen (18) months heavy equipment operation experience AND six (6) months heavy construction/physical labor experience;
Examples of heavy equipment operation experience: Operating single axle dump truck, tandem axle dump truck, front-end loader (3 yards or larger), bulldozer, backhoe, road grader, paving equipment, 15' mower tractors, or farm/ranch equipment such as tractors or combines.
Examples of heavy construction/physical labor experience: Bricklayer, construction laborer, plasterer, rancher/farmer or concrete finisher.
The Exceptional Applicant will be dedicated to a career in the transportation field and will possess the proven ability or accomplishment in the following:
- Demonstrated success with the duties listed in the Description of the Job section;
- Possess and maintain in good standing a Colorado CDL Class A or B with endorsements such as hazardous materials and tanker;
- Current Medical Certificate;
- Any certifications related to the job duties listed above;
- Extensive experience safely and effectively operating several types of heavy equipment such as single axle dump truck and tandem axle dump truck, front end loaders, bulldozer, backhoe, road grader, paving equipment;
- Extensive experience effectively using several types of hand tools;
- Extensive experience performing physically demanding work assignments;
- Experience working with chemicals and/or cleaning products;
- Experience performing routine maintenance and repair of heavy equipment;
- Highest work/personal ethics and integrity;
- Strong positive and can do attitude;
- Strong commitment to safety;
- Self-starter and motivated to accomplish assigned tasks;
- Ability to effectively communicate with CDOT staff and others, sometimes in safety situations where quick communication is essential;
- Ability to understand verbal and written instructions and information;
- Ability to quickly learn with minimal direction;
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes in work assignments and environments;
- Ability to work effectively in both independent and team situations;
- Strong customer service;
- Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong reasoning, analytic thinking and problem solving skills;
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems in an innovative manner;
- Knowledge and know how to use computers and the ability to quickly learn software.
Necessary Special Requirements: The following conditions must be met and maintained in order to be employed and to continue employment at CDOT in this position, unless exempted by the Maintenance Superintendent or Traffic Program Engineer.
- May be required to pass a controlled substance test (i.e. drug test), and DOT physical through our medical provider.
- Must be willing to respond to emergencies outside regular work hours and work overtime including weekends and holidays.
- Must provide the supervisor with a telephone number where you can be reached for the purposes of responding to an emergency.
- May be required to live within thirty (30) minutes' driving time, under normal weather conditions, of where the work station and/or equipment is located. This is necessary in order to report to work in a timely manner in emergency situations. Knowledge of an emergency or hazardous condition may be considered to be notification to report to work station.
If an applicant reaches the finalist stage of the hiring process, the Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the employment screening an applicant will be requested to disclose any differed judgments and convictions as well an explanation of the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the information with "Info Cubic".
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The information that may be included in the report includes: social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records checks, education records, and driving records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying. The information contained in the report will be obtained from private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope of any investigative consumer report.
Applicant Checklist: Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration. Immediately after you submit your application you should receive an email that confirms that you successfully submitted an application for this position. If you do not, try submitting again until you receive the confirmation email. Be sure to also check your junk folder for email communications from the State of Colorado's website.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
1) A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the link in this announcement)
2) A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (must submit online as part of your application)
Only complete applications will be given consideration. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application, but may be used to supplement information to the application. Failure to submit properly completed documents by the closing date of this announcement may result in your application being rejected.
Transfer, Non-Disciplinary Demotion or Reinstatement:
If you believe that you are eligible to be considered as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement to this vacancy, you must submit a completed application following the directions in this job announcement and you will be included in the selection process along with other qualified applicants. If you are the finalist for this position after the selection process, Human Resources will confirm your eligibility to be appointed as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement applicant.
The Assessment Process:
Colorado Revised Statutes require that all state employees be hired and promoted through comparative analysis of merit and fitness. Part or all of the assessment for this position will include a review of your application material. Applications will be reviewed by a Human Resource Specialist and/or Subject Matter Experts to determine if you meet the minimum requirements for the position. They may also use the application material to assess and rank applicants who meet the minimum requirements, to cut to a top group for additional assessment, or establish an eligible list for referral to the hiring manager for final consideration.
Be sure your application material specifically addresses your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments as they relate to the Major Duties, Education and Experience Requirements, and Exceptional Applicant sections as listed above. Upload additional pages if necessary to fully explain your experience and accomplishments. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions by the deadline for application may result in your application not being accepted for this position and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate in any of step of the selection process and placement on the eligible list.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
The Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb/forms-2 . Any appeals must be in writing and received no later than 10 calendar days from the date the examination was administered. Send appeals to the appropriate address as indicated on the Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form. The above ten-day deadline and appeal procedures apply, as well, to all charges of discrimination.
To request an accommodation, please contact the Center for Human Resource Management at (303)757-9216 or the contact listed on this announcement as soon as possible to be timely for the assessment process. Any person with a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to participate in the hiring process. The person making the request may be asked to provide additional information regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed which will be kept confidential. Advance preparation may be required so requests for accommodation need to be timely for each part of the assessment.
YOU MUST BE A RESIDENT OF COLORADO TO APPLY. CDOT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO CREATING A DIVERSE and INCLUSIVE WORKFORCE.
MMV (SAP #50001587/PCR #27750)